Visa ServiceVisa Service

Home Fiancee visa Visa Service What is a Fiancee visa (K-1)? Requirements for K-1 visa Children of Fiancee - K-2 visa Adjustment of Status ("green card") Fiancee visa (K-1) vs. Spousal visa (K-3) Tourist visas as an alternative to K-1 visa Fee schedule Questions you might have

Immigration Questions

Do I have to send in my original birth certificate, passport, or Naturalization certificate?
Copies of these documents are sufficient. You can contact the county clerk where you were born or divorced, and get a certified copy of your birth certificate or divorce decree.
Where can I have someone to notarize my documents?
The best place is at a bank or credit union. If you do business with one of them, the services will usually be free. If not, it will usually cost you a few dollars.

Where do I need to send completed forms with supporting documents?
You or your representative need to send the I-129F, G-325A (both copies), and all supporting documentation to the USCIS service center having jurisdiction over YOUR place of residence. If you live outside the United States, contact the nearest American Consulate to find out where to send your completed package.

Should I send a cover letter with the I-129F package?
A cover letter is not required, but I highly recommend using one.

What is the best way to send my I-129F package?
Go to the Post Office and mail it in person using certified mail or FEDEX.

How do I know when K-1 process is "officially" started?
You will receive a "Notice of Action" (Form I-797) from the USCIS. This could take up to several weeks after you mail it. The notice will say how long it usually takes to process this kind of applications and will give you a "receipt number" (in the left upper corner) by which you can obtain "case status information" directly on line.

My Fiancee's name was spelled incorrectly on the I-797 Approval Notice. What should I do?
You or your representative need to notify the Immigration Service immediately in writing. Please, do not forget to include your name, a correct name of you fiancee and a "receipt number".

How long after the approval of the I-129F petition does my Fiancee wait to get the paperwork?
This could take a while...The USCIS (former INS) Service Centers now sends the approved petition package to the NVC (National Visa Center), for transmittal to the American Consulate nearest to your Fiancee.

Can my Fiancee come to the US to visit me once the visa process is started?
We would not recommend that, because once the initial background check was done by the Consulate, subsequent visits to the US require an additional FBI check done by the Consulate, which could result in a delay of the visa process.
When is the K1 visa actually given to my Fiancee?
This will depend on the individual consulate. Some will issue the visa immediately, but many will not. The visa is given along with a sealed envelope of documents, which must be given to the USCIS officer when entering the U.S. The visa must be used within 6 months from the date of the initial interview. The Fiancee is allowed to enter the U.S. once with the visa, with the purpose of getting married.
My alien Fiancee has been issued a K-1 visa. Can we get married abroad and then come back together to the U.S. with the K-1?
No. The alien must NOT be married when s/he enters the US on a K-1 visa. Also, if using the K-1, the couple must marry in the US within 90 days of the alien entering on the K-1.
What happens to all these papers that my Fiancee gives to the Immigration Official at the port of entry?
It is sent to the USCIS district office closest to where you will reside, which will be the office handling your case once in the USA.
Is it okay for us to go to the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico on our honeymoon without Advance Parole?
I wouldn't suggest doing so. You may have to deal with Immigration and Customs Enforcement to get back to the United States.
How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?
As soon as possible.
Where do we send the Adjustment of Status application package?
It will depend where you reside. There are four main USCIS Service Centers. You need to check which Service Center has jurisdiction over your state of residency.
Can my spouse leave the United States, and then re-enter, before receiving the Green Card (conditional permanent residency)?
The spouse cannot re-enter the US unless they have "advance parole" authorization (Form I-131). Advance parole allows you to re-enter the US before approval of Adjustment of Status. If your Fiancee leaves the U.S. without this documents while her petition for adjustment of status is still pending, her petitioner will be considered abandoned.
What should we do if we move before the interview happens?
You will need to notify USCIS right away. There are several ways to do that. You can do it on the Internet, phone or mail.
I am a Permanent Resident, not a US Citizen. Can I still use the K-3 process?
Unfortunately, no.
How do I prepare the I-130 package to start the process for a K-3?
Your package must contain the I-130 and supporting documentation. Make sure that you specify that your spouse will apply for a K-3 visa.
The documentation required for the I-130 is nearly the same for the I-129F petition.
  • I-130 Petition for Immediate Relative
  • G-325A Biographic Information
  • A copy of your birth certificate, passport, or Certificate of Naturalization (you have to prove you are a US Citizen).
  • A photo of yourself and spouse;
  • A copy of the divorce decree or death certificate (if applicable).

  • What notification will I receive from USCIS (INS) that my I-130 petition has been filed?
    The Citizen will receive an I-797 "Notice of Action" from the USCIS (former INS). It can take several weeks. The notice will say how long it usually takes to process the applications and give you a "receipt number" in the left upper corner of the Notice, by which you can obtain "case status information".
    How long is K-3/K-4 status good for?
    A K-3 status is good for two years after entry into the United States. Your status will end sooner if your marriage ends, or if K-3 holder obtains a status of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). A K-4 status is also valid for two years, unless a child turns 21, gets married, or when his/her K-3 parent becomes a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).
    Can a K-3 holder, in case of emergency, go to her home country using her K-3 visa and safely return to the United States?
    Absolutely! A K-3/K-4 is a multiple entry visa, and K-3/K-4 holders may leave the United States and return back to the U.S. using the same visa. K-3/K-4 holders do not need to obtain an "advance parole" document to reenter the United States.
    Is there an official web site for USCIS?
    Yes. You can find a lot of helpful information for any types of visas and process at

    Here are some recent testimonials we have received in reference to our service:

    From Dan P. As we all know being separated from a loved one is quite difficult, and every day matters. I have had one experience procuring a visa for my fiance many years ago,(what an exasperating experience) and Laurie was more than twice as fast as doing it on my own. Laurie is extremely responsive, as I can attest to her even working/taking calls on the weekend to make the process go faster.

    From Greg A. Laurie was a very helpful Attorney, she helped us get my fiancée visa. We had a couple of potential red flags to deal with and Laurie knew just how to handle them. Laurie's law firm is in a different state into which I live, but this wasn't a problem at all, she kept in contact in all the different ways. Laurie's fluency in mandarin also helped my fiancée feel comfortable. My fiancée and I high recommend Laurie she is very professional and we probably couldn't have done it without her. Thank you Laurie

    From Tobi O. Laurie most recently helped my wife and I remove the conditions from my green card. In 2012, she helped us with K-1 fiancé visa and then helped me get my conditional green card. The entire process then and now went smooth without complications. Because of her attention to details, we didn't need to submit any more evidence and didn't have to go for any interview in order to obtain my 10 year green card. We know she has many clients, but she treated our case like we were her only clients. Not only is she hardworking, she is also very professional and reachable. I'm so glad my wife and I found her. Her fees are very affordable, and I highly recommend her to everyone.

    From Aurielle C. Laurie is very professional and works very fast. She always helps me with the papers and answers all my questions in a short time. She listens to her customers. It took 5 months for me to have my visa in my hand and I want to say thank you for it. Now my fiancee and I are married. I definitely recommend Laurie and I'll continue to work with her in the future.

    From Debasish R. Laurie provided truly outstanding service from start to finish. I was a bit anxious about the outcome of the K-1 visa for my Chinese girlfriend before I had Laurie as my attorney. Once Laurie started the application process I was reassured that I was in the best hands possible. She has intimate knowledge of the application process and how to present the best possible application. Laurie has an incredible attention to detail. She responds to every question in a timely and clear fashion.

    From Ken M. My name is Ken and Attorney Laurie Wu prepared a K1 Fiancée Visa application for me and my Chinese fiancée. Laurie also helped me with my K-1 visa application for my ex-fiancée and I withdrew that application. All along, Laurie took time to listen to our concerns and addressed them in a thoughtful, respectful, and caring way. She replied to inquiries promptly, both to me and my fiancée in China. Her advice was both helpful and reassuring.

    From Dimitri B. We have been working with Laurie over the past few years and she has provided us great service. Immigrating is very confusing and not always clear what is required. Laurie has shown that she has a comprehensive understanding of the requirements and the system to make the process run smoothly and had confidence in her at each step. In this sort of process communication is very important and she kept us appraised at each stage and in layman terms we could understand. We even rehired her to help us to renew my green card two years after I became a permanent resident.

    From Bipasha B. From the very first day I was put in touch with Laurie she was accommodating, understanding and gave me sound advice. I liked her straightforward approach and practical advice. Ours was a unique situation and she expertly guided us through it keeping us on track with what were the next steps and what we should expect. Even at times when we fell behind with the paperwork she checked on us to keep track of our progress. Whether over phone or email she was always readily available and helped us through any doubts we might have or any questions that arose.

    Visa Service

    In Association with AFA
    7320 N Dreamy Draw Drive
    Phoenix, Arizona 85020
    (602) 553-8178
    FAX (602) 468-1119
    Contact Us

    Copyright © - All Rights Reserved
    The information contained on this web site may provide general legal information but is not intended to give legal advice or counsel on any specific legal matter. It does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied upon in lieu of legal counsel. The links provided in this web site are for the information and enjoyment of on-line readers and do not constitute an endorsement of products or services represented there.